Hostacov is first mentioned as being a small defensive fortress which was completed by 1297. The site was chosen ostensibly because it is located upon a rocky outcrop on the end of a small spur of land that drops away steeply on three sides, surrounded on two sides by a stream and a river from the other. Along this river at the time it is said a quite important trading and pilgrimage route led from the old stone bridge downstream (which still stands) towards the monastery in Vilemov. The fourth, southern side was made defensible by the digging out of a moat.
This defensive structure was expanded by Heřman Bohdaneč of Hodkov between 1557 and 1583 into a zámek, or chateau in the Rennaisance style. At this time, there were 3 wings, which left the courtyard open to the west. The corridors facing the courtyard were all arcaded and left open on both the bottom and first floors.
Over the years, most probably under the ownership of Marie Magdalena Goltzová around the 1640?s, a fourth wing was built on the western side, enclosing the courtyard. During this stage, the open arches on the upstairs corridor were most probably also walled up, with large double windows installed, leaving the structure as we see it more or less today.
There were extensive ground works done around the chateau in the first half of the 19th century, as well as some renovations on the inside, during which time the ditch (moat) on the southern side was filled in and drawbridge taken away. Extensive construction of a large terraced area was undertaken in conjunction with the construction of a sugar refiney which was completed and began operations in 1846 in front of the chateau. Rails were also laid, and a line of railway led directly to the sugar refinery from the Golčův Jeníkov station 2km away. This flattened the area around the southern and eastern sides of chateau, and has softened the high defensive position it once maintained. The western and northern sides remain lofty, whilst on the eastern side, there is now a large flat terraced area perfect for a sundowner with a lovely view across a wide area all the way across to the “Iron Mountain”(Zelezne hory).
A small lake was also constructed during this phase next to the chateau to provide water for the sugar mill. The lake is now a pleasant part of the forest park, whilst some of the remaining buildings of the old sugar mill are still in use as a paper processing plant on the other side of our front courtyard. In 1927, the small clock tower that stood two storeys above the roof of the entrance was taken down due to rotting wooden beams, and the clock itself was donated to the village of Chrastice about 1km away, where it remains to this day.
Extensive renovations were performed from 1991-1995 by the Czech state after which the building served as a recreational and rehabilitational facility for 10 years. Since 2007 the Chateau has been in private hands and the Hotel has been operational since 2010. Whilst much has been done to bring the building back to it’s former glory, there is still much to do, and our repeat guests will notice something new upon every visit. All necessary steps are taken to ensure that no renovations out of character with the building and it’s history is undertaken, and we believe that upon breathing in the Chateau’s atmosphere our visitors will appreciate these efforts.